Wednesday, February 26, 2014

On the Journey: To Juice or Not to Juice? That is the question of the day....

Hello again to one and all,

I have decided to tackle an issue that has been blogged about on message boards of my fitness pal, the free online calorie counter, exercise log and journal, that I use. 

Many people have commented that doing a three or five day juicing does not work for either short or long terms. It is my goal to explore this topic. 

With this being week one of the Biggest Loser at Work program, I decided to give juicing a try. For three days, I am juicing only fresh fruits and vegetables. Using a book of recipes, I choose juices geared towards weight loss/water retention. (My weigh in is on Friday, February 28, 2014 and I will let you know the results then). 

When inputting the information of the juices into my fitness pal personal recipe section, I noticed I had a large intake of carbohydrates compared to protein and fat. I altered my juicing to less fruits and more vegetables. In addition, I bought a protein powder that I add to my water that I drink and to the juices that I make. 

Furthermore, I have kept with my exercise regimen. In fact, I have increased the difficulty level. For those of you in shape, this may sound trite but I was able to run 3 miles in 42 minutes today. This is a great accomplishment for me - someone who hates to run. After a brief rest, I accomplished 20 minutes on the elliptical machine. Using my Striiv pedometer as a tracker, I walked/ran/ellipticalled 9,883 steps, 176 stair,4.9 miles and burned 1,049 calories in 111 minutes of activity. 

Back to the juicing. 

In research I found the following:
(online source)

Pros:

  1.  juicing can reduce your risk of cancer, boost your immune system, help you remove toxins from your body, aid digestion and help you lose weight.
  2. if you don't enjoy eating fresh fruits and vegetables, juicing may be a fun way to add them to your diet or to try fruits and vegetables you normally wouldn't eat.
  3. Some juicing proponents say that juicing is better for you than is eating whole fruits and vegetables because your body can absorb the nutrients better and it gives your digestive system a rest from working on fiber. 
Cons: 
  1. keep in mind that juices may contain more sugar than you realize, and if you aren't careful, these extra calories can lead to weight gain.
  2. there's no sound scientific evidence that extracted juices are healthier than the juice you get by eating the fruit or vegetable itself.
  3. Juicing probably is not any healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables.
The question is, do you think that juicing works long term? I think that in all things moderation should be observed and a long term liquid diet of any kind is not good.However, looking at the pros and cons in the lists above I don't see where it will really hurt to do a three or five day juicing and then supplement meals with the juices afterwards.

What do you think? Have you tried juicing? How did it affect you? 





                 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!