Monday, April 15, 2013

Part One: Let's talk beginning

Hi,

Recently, I have been asked about writing my book, Journey to Freedom. Because of this discussion, I decided to bring to you a series of discussions called 'Let's Talk". This will be several posts in the following weeks to answer questions posed to me from reader to author. I hope you will enjoy seeing how Journey to Freedom, Their Journey Begins and Transcendence has developed. If you have read my books and have questions please post in the comments and I will answer them for you.

 One of the questions I have frequently been asked is this:

What led you to write a civil war novel and how in the world did you come up with that story?

Okay, maybe that is two questions in one so even though I didn't feel I had a good answer for that particular reader, just maybe, I can reach out to you with a better one.

The American Civil War is, to me, one of the most important battles in the United States History. A turning point; a division and a joining; of selfishness and giving; harshness and survival. A defining moment for our country. A sad time as the North and South battled.

In my book, I tend to lean toward slavery being the basis of the war, however, it is not actually. Regardless, I wanted a book that would take the slaves point of view and bring it into focus. Their struggles, their prejudices, their triumphs.

I wanted to show the world -- America, in particular -- how good we have it today compared to when our country was young.

I also wanted to address race discrimination and the reality of life. I believe strongly that there were interracial relationships and even interracial marriages back in 1800's. I think these relationships were guarded closely by those who were in acceptance of them. It was very common for men and women to be killed for loving those of a different skin color. But does that ever stop anyone? I don't think so either so I wanted to incorporate that into my book.

So this is the beginning of how Journey to Freedom came about. Part Two: Let's talk research will be coming soon.

In the meantime here is the link to my book Journey to Freedom and if you have already read Journey to Freedom and have any questions please post them and I will incorporate them into a blog article. Thank you for joining to me on Let's talk..



I would love to hear your thoughts; please leave a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!