Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Golden Nugget Within the Family


Holding a piece of fragile history, I held the torn and scarred book affectionately. Written by my grandmother’s uncle and published in 1930, my pulse races as I am enraptured by the significance of what I hold in my hands.

My hands shake as I gently turn the fragile pages lined with typed words. Not computerized where if you had an error all it took was a touch of a backspace key but typed by an old fashion type writer. Hours upon hours of typing and rewrites. 

Truly a treasure.  

Here is a look at the story behind the story. 

Walter E. Taylor, my great-great uncle, penned a story titled: THE KNIGHT OF THE DIXIE WILDS. The tale is about the Texas Reconstruction after the American Civil War was over and all the challenges and changes they faced in direct regards to their lives.

Walter E. Taylor was a lawyer in Lubbock, Texas and lived through this time period. In the pictures you will see below you will see a hand written note inside the book. His Law Office and where he kept the majority of his books caught on fire and he was only able to salvage one with some damage to it. I am sure there are other books out there in America and I wonder who has it and did the story touch them? 

Interestingly enough it was published by:
Meador Publishing Company
27 Beach Street
Boston, Massachusetts

Hmmmm, and now his great-great-niece, K. Meador, has penned a story of her own about the American Civil War. Do you believe in coincidences? I don’t either. In fact, at this point I would think that God has a great sense of humor. I didn’t know this book existed until yesterday, April 19,2012, some 82 years later!



                                                                  






2 comments:

  1. That is amazing. I keep wondering if it's an interesting read. Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl! I think it is and can't wait to share it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!