Monday, October 10, 2011

Adjustment

As time flies by I am left catching my breath...do you know what I am talking about? I am sure you do because in this fast pace world that we live in it seems to get faster the older we get and I feel as if I have to schedule time just to breathe. 
And in saying this, I find myself in a new time of adjustment for me…the empty nest. My older son is 19 and my younger one is turning 18 in a few weeks. Both are graduated from high school, both are employed and my younger son is seriously contemplating a career in the military. They need me less and less as they get older and that is only natural as is the empty nest syndrome I find myself adjusting to.
So my time which was once filled with football games and skateboard parks is now filled with a sixty hour work week, two Bibles studies per week, volunteering at the Salvation Army and writing. In fact, I fill my life so full that I am left breathless chasing the moment just to avoid the ache that fills my heart with my sons apart from me. And I find an emptiness in my heart too that is a direct reflection of lack of quality time with my Father.
And then I stop to think and to reflect and to know…that even in the good things that I fill my life with I need to learn to slow down so that I can meditate on God’s Words more and focus on my relationship with Him. To sit in His lap and listen to Him speak.
In studying  His Word tonight I came to  Matthew 11:25 (NLT) At that time Jesus prayed this prayer “Oh Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever and for revealing them to the childlike.”
It is my prayer that I don’t become wise and clever in my own eyes or in the eyes of others…I pray for a constant humbleness that when I am not spending devoted time with my Father I find that I am lacking. And I am thankful for His grace that brings me back into the shadow of the Cross and the revelation of the need to be obedient to His Truths. 
Oswald Chambers wrote in his devotional, My Utmost for the Highest the following:
All of God’s revealed truths are sealed until they are opened to us through obedience. You will never open them through philosophy or thinking. But once you obey, a flash of light comes immediately. Let God’s truths work into you by immersing yourself in it, not by worrying into it. The only way you can get to know the truth of God is to stop trying to find out and by being born again. If you obey God in the first thing He shows you, then He instantly opens up the next truth to you. Even the smallest bit of obedience opens heaven and the deepest truths of God immediately become yours. Yet God will never reveal more truth about Himself to you, until you have obeyed what you know already.

But you can’t obey if you don’t know the Truth. You can’t know the Truth without devoting quality time to studying, to praying, to spend time in His Presence So my challenge for you and more, for me, is this: Is life taking you in a direction of too much activity - leaving you exhausted and out of touch with the One who loves you more than anything or anyone else here on earth? Or has the Creator of life given you your life back by slowing you down?

2 comments:

  1. I really needed to hear this today. God is truly using you to encourage others. Praying for you.
    ML

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike, you and Ame are a true blessings to me and many others! Love y'all and sending prayers yall's ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!